It is the time again to sing and make merry, it is Christmas time! Singing Christmas carols are a beautiful way of getting into the festive mood. All of us know that carols are hymns whose lyrics are based on various themes related to celebrating the birth of Christ. Carolers start singing the hymns several days ahead of the festival; they usher in the festive mood for everyone who listening to their songs. Carolers marching in the town, visiting homes and signing the hymns are a common sight in various parts of the world as the festive season draws near. It is a good way of enjoying at this time with your family, friends and all the other loved ones.
Christmas Carol Trivia
- The word carol is derived from the old French word caroler; which in turn is derived from the Latin word choraula
- The first person to introduce Christmas carols to formal church services was St Francis of Assisi
- Carols are said to have originated from an old English custom known as ‘Wassailing’ which involved toasting neighbors for a long and vigorous life.
- Signing of Christmas carols were banned between 1647 and 1660 in England by Oliver Cromwell; he was of the view that Christmas should be a somber day
- The practice of carolers going from door to door signing the hymns came about, as they were barred from singing in churches during the middle ages.
Top Christmas Carols
- Silent night
- Deck the Halls
- Joy to the world
- Away in a manger
- Little Drummer boy
- 12 Days of Christmas
- The Nutcracker Suite
- O Come all ye faithful
- In the bleak mid winter
- Do you hear what I hear
- O little town of Bethlehem
- Once in Royal David's city
- It came upon a midnight clear
- See him lying in a bed of straw
- All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth
- While shepherd's watched their flocks by night
Christmas Carols Movies
There are several movies that are based on carols. Some of the popular ones are
- An American Carol
- Chasing Christmas
- A Christmas Carol: The Musical
- Sabrina the Animated Series: A Witchmas Carol
- The Night Before Christmas Carol
- A Flintstones Christmas Carol
- Brer Rabbit's Christmas Carol
- Rich Little's Christmas Carol and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol among others.
You can choose one any of these Christmas carol films, if you are planning to watch a movie with your loved ones during the holidays.
Many movies based on the classic tale by Charles Dickens named ‘A Christmas Carol’ have been made; most of these movies also go by the same name and they are very popular. The movies were made in all categories including musical, animated, drama, comedy etc. It is interesting to watch these movies and see the different take on the same story by the various actors and directors.
Christmas carols for kids
Getting the kids to sing some of the Christmas carols in the holiday season can be a great fun activity. To prepare them to sing the carols, get some Christmas carol lyrics free from the web, if you do not have them. You can also choose some hymns from your Christmas Carols list and teach the kids some of the songs. Once they learn the songs well, they can go door to door in the neighborhood singing the songs and having a good time. Not just kids, even adults or anybody else can take part in singing these songs.